Monday, December 19, 2005

Snowpeople and snowdiversity.

Yesterday, Bainwen and I went shopping, in a search for an ornament of our own to add to the tree. We found two nice ones, and kept looking around the store, pointing and laughing at some of the "festive" stuff.

I mean, really. What says "Christmas" more than...
A chili pepper decorated with lights?
A Jewish Santa? (still puzzling this one)
A cowboy boot?
A slot machine with "Viva Las Vegas"? (In Michigan?)
An armadillo with a Santa hat?
A fish. That's right, a fish. WHY???

Well, Bainwen saw a series of ornaments, and started a little mock rant. They were of little snowman families, mom, dad and kidlings, with varied numbers of kids. The moms had bows on their heads, while the dads had nothing- easy to tell the difference. So, the playful rant- "This is 2005! Where are the gay snowmen? The lesbian snowwomen? The mixed families? They're all snow-white, perfect families!"

Afer laughing a bit and waiting for her to take a breath, I just reached out, pulled a bow from its gummy moorings, and placed it squarely on a bare snowman head.

So now, we had one family with two moms, and one with two dads.

There, we both lost it laughing. The absurdity of it all, and the fact that finally, social justice had been served.

But, the snowy night had one further surprise. As we were standing off to the side laughing, a woman who had heard our exchange picked up the newly lesbian snowcouple, smiled softly, and bought it.

Merry Christmas, ma'am. I don't know for sure if you heard why I did what I did, but if it means more now that I changed it, I'm glad I did.

12 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

And don't even get me started on the way there were no single-parent snowfamilies. :-P (I'm likely to go off on random social justice rants at any moment, if you haven't figured that out already.)

I am very glad that the woman bought the snowmommies. But I hope that no one finds the one with the snowdaddies and tries to start trouble with the store clerks.

12/19/2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

Oh yeah, and I'm still thinking of going back and getting that Christmas armadillo for my brother. :-P

12/20/2005 8:26 AM  
Blogger Martie said...

Sounds as if the two of you had a blast and are a perfect match for each other! It is always nice to be able to laugh and play together....even as adults! Merry Christmas to you both!

12/20/2005 10:13 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

Heck, if you want that armadillo, I'll go along and convert another handful of snowfamilies. :-)

I am having a blast. Don't let anybody kid ya. :-)

12/20/2005 1:25 PM  
Blogger clew said...

Hee hee - great story on many levels! :) Merry Christmas!

I got some cookies from a coworker today, and amongst them are some homemade BUCKEYES! When can I expect you and Bainwen over to help me eat these? (BEtter hurry, they won'r last long)

;)

12/21/2005 7:20 AM  
Blogger clew said...

(excuse the typos - not much sleep last night :/ )

12/21/2005 7:21 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Funny story! How is that when I check your blog regularly there is nothing new, but when I'm absent for a few days, it seems I can't catch up on your chatter??? :)

12/21/2005 9:15 PM  
Blogger clew said...

Hey T,

In case you don't have one, I just posted a Buckeye recipe. You and B should whip up a batch! ;)

Merry Christmas ~ XOXO

12/22/2005 2:17 PM  
Blogger clew said...

Nevermind, I forgot you already made her some. *blush*

:D

12/22/2005 3:00 PM  
Blogger Lizzy Leigh said...

Oh no...you didn't attack Bronners, did you? But I love what you did! Yeah for the movers and shakers of the world!

12/22/2005 10:46 PM  
Blogger clew said...

Thanks for the veggie oil tip, T! I added it to my alternate-to-wax suggestions in my post!

12/23/2005 7:53 AM  
Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

We didn't attack Bronners. It was just some strange ornament store at the mall! So no worries there. :-)

12/23/2005 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home