Saturday, November 26, 2005

"That Don't Impress Me Much..."

"That don't impress me much."

Just a song I heard driving home tonight, nothing major, but a few bits made me think.

She's going through the people she's known, the ones who are unique, and wondering if there was anything that truly impressed her, anything that really had any true value.

First on her assault was a really smart guy she knew, a rocket scientist with a mirror in his pocket and a comb up his sleeve. But, what good are brains if you don't have the touch? What good is knowing pi to the Nth digit, if you don't have the warmth in your heart that can keep someone smiling?

Without the touch, brains are all flash, and no dash. It's a car without a transmission- it sounds great, but it goes nowhere.

Next? A guy who was gorgeous- she compares him to Brad Pitt. Looks that don't quit, a physique as chiseled as a Greek god, and a thousand-watt smile. Yet, without the touch, without the heart and soul behind it, you have a mannequin. Nothing more. An empty smile without substance, a hollow grin without a thought behind it.

Last? A guy who was obsessed with his car, always polishing it and demanding that shoes be removed before it was sat in. But, what good is a car without a driver? What good is a car, if the guy driving is as unthinking as a robot, or as cold as a doll's eyes?

"Don't get me wrong, I think you're all right, but that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night."

I may not have the perfect mind- darn good, but not perfect- or the looks, or the flawless car, but I try and do the best I can by those I love. As someone on Snopes once said, "Make me smile in the dark, and you'll have me forever.". That's my goal. I may not be perfect, but I try to leave everyone I love smiling in the dark, and happy I was there.

Just a late-night musing, driving down I-75. Good night, folks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

I would tell you that you leave me smiling in the dark, but that might sound dirtier than I actually intend it to, considering. ;-)

So I'll put it this way: falling in love semi-long-distance as we did, meaning that most of our relating was done via email and IM, is a definite indicator that you have whatever that indefinable "something" is that would have impressed Shania in the song. (That is a Shania song, right?) But she can't have you, you're all mine. :-)

11/26/2005 8:11 PM  
Blogger Smerdyakov said...

Rare are those of us who have it all.

11/28/2005 10:28 PM  
Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

True indeed. But equally rare are those of us who have nothing.

11/29/2005 6:51 AM  
Blogger Smerdyakov said...

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.

11/29/2005 7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home