Saturday, November 05, 2005

12???

Today, I finished my EKG Technician course. It was fairly simple, though you could tell the students who hadn't taken an anatomy class- there's way too much information for anyone to just pick up.

An exmaple of a question...

The heart is a...
a. Hollow organ that pumps blood.
b. Solid organ that pumps blood.
c. Hollow organ that oxygenates blood.
d. Solid organ that filters blood.

The answer is, of course, A. Yet, a few people messed the question.

Another one, just to confuse...

A 12-lead EKG has how many leads?
a. 9
b. 10
c. 11
d. 12.

Ironically, the answer is not D. It's B. Two leads double up. :-)

But, that leads me to the purpose of this rant.

We read EKGs in the class. Simple, how to read the strip and how to give an EKG. The last strip we read one day was easy. Heart rate of 78, PRI of 0.16 (normal), QRS of 0.08 (normal), in other words, dead normal. The prof asked who knew the rate, and a great mumbling came up "78...76...80...77" All close, so good enough.

Guy in front raises his hand, and says "12".

Eek.

If that guy passes his certification, I'm turning mine in.

11 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

This guy might be doing vital readings doctors use to make decisions?

Okay, I'm scared.

11/05/2005 5:09 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

Yeah, he'd be the one saying you're sick or not. Eek.

11/05/2005 8:23 PM  
Blogger clew said...

I have a good friend who is a pathologist, and another who is a lab tech at a childrens hospital. Their responsibilities intimidate me so much and I respect them both greatly for what they do. It's frightening to think that such inaccuracies could and do slip into the real practice of medicine.

Hopefully this one (and more often than not any others) will filter out before they are set loose.

BTW I'm so proud of you and excited for you about what's happening in your life now! Yippee!

11/07/2005 7:43 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

He didn't even show up for the final exam. Hopefully he realized that he wasn't going to make it.

As for the rest...

Many thanks. *blushes* :-)

11/07/2005 8:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I he didn't show up for the final, maybe he did realize his greater responsibility. Let's hope!

11/07/2005 11:17 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

That's possible. Nice enough guy, but he just wasn't getting it.

11/08/2005 12:46 AM  
Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

You know a lot more than I do!

11/08/2005 10:57 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

Life's a beach, AC... Learn to swim somewhere else.

11/09/2005 12:30 PM  
Blogger Smerdyakov said...

But I like this beach. And this beach likes me.

11/09/2005 8:35 PM  
Blogger Martie said...

Hey, speaking from the other side (being a cardiac patient) I'm glad that guy didn't show up for the final. I don't want anyone like him reading my EKG's! SCARY to say the least!

11/14/2005 11:35 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

You mean you don't have a pulse rate of 12? *laughs*

11/14/2005 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home