Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Standing up.

In a previous entry, I mentioned how I was teased pretty strongly in school. That stopped pretty fast when I turned 16. Why?

I started lifting weights as a Freshman. Bench 150 by the end of the year, press 300 on the legs, curling 20s and 30s without much problem. Still, a limp survived. As HS boys will do, one in particular found that flaw, and exploited it.

We had gone through grade school and HS together, and he had always had it out for me. Bullying, threats, the works. He could get under my skin like nobody else, and it drove me crazy. Teachers advised me to just leave it be, but I couldn't ignore it.

Then came the end of my sophomore year, age 16. Back in grade school, I had borrowed money from this guy's mom when we went on a field trip, and had paid her back. Yet, he chose this moment to bring it up, claiming he would beat the hell out of me if I didn't give him $20, right now.

I had had enough, looked him square in the eye, and told him to bring it on. He got in one punch, a fairly weak shot to the gut, but my first blew the air our of him like a balloon. Right under the ribs, left side, hard enough to nearly collapse a lung.

As he was curled up on the ground crying, I was somewhat dazed. It felt good to have it done, but now what? What trouble was waiting?

None.

The football coach, a good guy and friend of mine, had seen the whole thing. School rules said that throwing a punch was a demerit offense, but defending yourself was not. Sine he threw first, I was in the clear. It was over.

And he never so much as looked me in the eye after that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

Wow. :-)

Standing up to a bully and succeeding is one of the greatest adrenaline rushes in the world. I'm very glad you found the courage you needed, for bravery like that will stand you in good stead throughout your life.

Well done, my brave kola! :-)

10/12/2005 3:33 PM  
Blogger clew said...

Good for you. :) I've often wished I'd stood up to the bullies more. My husband's asked me many times why I didn't, and my only conclusion is that boys and girls fight differently. When boys fight, they'll fight one on one while the others collectively observe from the sidelines. When girls fight, if you take on one, her 20 friends will immediately charge in and murder you. The odds were always hugely against my favor, so I just took it.

Glad those days are over! Sometimes it is more fun to be an adult.

10/13/2005 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home