Saturday, September 10, 2005

Floating down the river of a dream.

In case y'all haven't noticed, I'm a country music fan at heart. Always have been, always will be. Yet, there is one song that transcends genre and singer, one song that becomes nearly holy, particularly when sung with sufficient passion.

I present, "The River", by Mr. Brooks. ;~)

They say a dream is like a river,
ever changing as it flows,
and a dreamer, just a vessel,
that must follow where it goes,
trying to learn from what's behind you,
never knowing what's in store,
makes each day a constant battle,
just to stay between the shores.


Life is a river, isn't it? We're paddling along, trying mightily to avoid that downed alder in the water and the rocks below, but never knowing what's along the bend. It may be smooth sailing, it may be rough waters, it may be a low branch that will drop you flat on your back in a second. We just never know for sure.

But I will sail my vessel,
'til the river runs dry,
like a bird upon the winds,
these waters are my skies.
I'll never reach my destination,
if I never try,
So I will sail my vessel,
'til the river runs dry.


These are the only waters in town. We are dropped in a creek at birth, and left to drift. Some of us are lucky enough to find someone who knows what lies ahead and has been there, some are able to find one willing to ride shotgun, but we still know not for sure. We can't paddle upstream and change the path, we can't leave the river of our lives, we can only change how we face it.

Many times we stand aside,
let the waters slip away,
'til what we put off 'til tomorrow,
has now become today.
So don't you stand upon the shoreline,
and say you're satisfied,
choose to chance the rapids,
and dare to dance that tide.


The water is our life, and the river is how we live it. Stepping out of the river? You're letting life pass you by. You're letting the sand in your hourglass slide away, without even a glance.

The rapids and the tide? The fun stuff. It's the 70-degree grade, the spur-of-the-moment trip with a friend, the stolen kiss as the sun fades and the beaming look of joy at seeing a deer wander by. These are not mandatory. You can always portage past the rapids, and avoid the tides by staying mid-river. But, you miss on the challenges and the fun.

Now I know there'll be rough waters,
and I'm bound to face some falls,
but with the Good Lord as my Captain,
I'll make it through it all.
Yes, I will sail my vessel, Lord,
'til the river runs dry.
Like a bird upon the winds,
these waters are my skies.
I'll never reach my destination,
if I never try,
so I will sail my vessel,
'til the river runs dry.


There are rough waters and falls throughout life. Everyone takes their lumps on the river, the fallen branch that hits you in the chest like a prizefighter, the sunken rock that punches a hole in your thin hull, the falls that send us, screaming and terrified, on paths undreamt and unprepared for. There, you have to have faith. THere is no other way. Trust your guide on the river. :-)

*straps on his PFD* Pardon me, folks, I'm going canoeing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

We can't paddle upstream and change the path, we can't leave the river of our lives, we can only change how we face it.

But the river has many branches, many different ways we might choose to go. Sometimes the river seems to go into a Moebius loop and leave a person upstream of where they thought they had been. The water flows ever on and on to the sea, but how many and varied are the streams by which we might get there!

9/10/2005 4:21 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

There are many ways, but one river. Pick a stream, and paddle. Someone will be there to guide. :-)

9/10/2005 4:26 PM  
Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

thanks for your wise, caring words, mistress bainwen! :)

I forgot that you were a country music fan. And, that one is a great choice. I love that song.
Fionna Apple has a new CD coming out. you need to get that. AND/OR all of her old ones. the lyrics are amazingly beautiful and heart-wrenching.

9/11/2005 8:49 AM  
Blogger clew said...

Tirithien, you always reflect on things so deeply - I love that about you.

Always enjoy your blog, friend ~ :)

9/14/2005 7:36 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

:-o

Thanks. :-)

9/14/2005 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything here is wonderful.

9/30/2005 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home