Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Fall...

The summer fades. The days grow shorter, the nights grow longer, the blistering heat of July is giving way slowly to the crisp coolness of September. For some, the loss of summer is a true sadness, as it is also the call of school, of an oncoming winter, and of a return to weather dreary.

Yet, for now, no such thought crosses my mind. Why?

The crunch of pad on pad at a football game. The smell of freshly grilled cheap hot dogs, the ear-splitting crackle of fireworks, the bright lights of the stadium, these are what call to me. The coolness and calm of wandering through the forest as the leaves change, the soft chatter of squirrels hunting for the last acorns of the year, the gentle crunch of leaves underfoot, these call to me.

It's the leaves that change color in waves as I head South, the lengthening of the shadows that fall on my patio, the sudden need to build a fire, sit around it, and relax with someone I love. These are what call to me.

Summer? I care not. Fall? Bring it on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

I've always liked fall, at least, ever since I moved up north. (In the swamplands of Florida, the seasons consisted of Hot, So Hot The Pavement Is Melting, Hurricane, and Shivery Cold Dampness, so "fall" was a new concept to me.) I know winter is coming, which is unfortunate for me, but there's really nothing bluer than a September sky. Winter will come and I will deal with it when it gets here, but in the meantime, I will be busy enjoying the grace and beauty with which Nature prepares for her long sleep.

9/01/2005 8:25 AM  
Blogger clew said...

Wow ... I'd been working on a fall post in my head for several days and it seems we hone in on the same wonderful traits of the season :)

Hope you have a great long weekend :)

9/04/2005 11:59 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

I definitely am having one helluva weekend. :-)

9/05/2005 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home