Monday, August 01, 2005

Poetry in steel, a convex-edged musing.

Some time ago, a friend of mine was trying to come to grips with a failing marriage. I'm a single guy, so I can't speak from experience there, but I came up with something that seemed to explain. The more I think of it, though, the more it works.

I'm a knife collector, so it makes sense to me to put things in those terms. Perhaps it will make sense to the rest of the world. ;-)

You see, there are three grinds one can put on a knife's edge- hollow, flat, and convex. How in the heck do these relate to a friendship or a marriage? I will tell.

Hollow is just as it sounds. Formed by two circular wheels coming together, it starts out very thin, and has little substance. Basically, it's a friendship based on looks- it has some connections, but minor ones only. Yet, once this edge hits anything tough, say the knots that run in the tree of life, it breaks.

Flat is, again, just as it sounds. \/. Two planes, meeting at a central point. It's better, as there is more meat to the relationship between them, but it still has its weaknesses. Still, it is better than hollow. It can survive the small knots and burrs of life easily enough.

Last is convex. Formed by two equal arcs coming together, creating a softened V. Lots of substance. In a relationship, this is where you start by seeing a person's heart, and then the rest falls into place. It runs deep, and very strong. Burrs? Knots? This powers through them like an axe. Strong and beautiful, it is one that can conquer all.

Though, there is one important thread amongst the three- the two sides must be equal. If one barely works, and the other works perfectly, the edge will never reach potential. Yet, when they do, when the two sides of a convex edge work together, it is beauty itself. Clean, sharp, and flawless.

There's my answer. I am but one edge, seeking the other edge to form the blade of a relationship. :-) Will work for sharpness! ;-)

5 Comments:

Blogger clew said...

Very nice metaphor! Enjoyed the read :)

8/02/2005 7:36 AM  
Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

Goodness, Tirithien, you are indeed the king of complex metaphors. ;-)

It is very rare that people see each other's hearts or souls before they notice the other things about each other, the external appearances and interests. Your standards are very high.

You're absolutely right that both sides must work together as equals. If there is not balance, or if the two sides expect different things than what the other is capable of giving.... well, you know what happened to me.

I'm sure the other edge you seek is out there. You know. Somewhere. ;-)

8/02/2005 11:51 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

My standards may be high, Bainwen, but there is one benefit to that. After wading through the dross, after winnowing out the chaff and scraping away the fluff, I am always rewarded a great deal. It takes time, lots of tries for that edge, but when it is found, it is beauty itself. :-)

8/02/2005 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I am impressed.
There's no more I can say, except to repeat myself! So I will...
Wow...I am impressed. :o)

8/03/2005 7:52 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

*blushes* :^)

8/03/2005 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home