Sunday, July 24, 2005

So, who is this guy, and why should you care?

Me? You're asking about me? All right.

I'm a college graduate, Honors in Biology. Currently attending postgraduate courses, and looking to enter medical school. I'm a fine listener and a voracious reader. Lord of the Rings, Bathroom Readers, C. S. Lewis, it matters not- if it is a printed word, I want to read it.

I'm also a weightlifting buff, and try to take care of myself as best I can. When my friends need me, I am there, always and without reservation.

I guess, if you really want to know whom I am, an answer I once gave in a medical school interview will suffice.

He said, "You meet the girl of your dreams, marry her, and have a handsome and brilliant son. At 16, he comes to you, and asks of you one question- what matters the most in this world?"

My answer. "There are three things that matter the most. One is honesty, or how you keep promises to others. If you are not honest in your dealings with others, you are a shell of a man. Another is integrity, or how you keep promises to yourself. Without that, you have nothing with which to fight. The last is love. Your friends may desert you, your family may age and die, but love still conquers all."

That's me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

When my friends need me, I am there, always and without reservation.

I can attest to this. And I thank you for it, Tirithien, my dearest friend. You have been of great help to me in my time of trial, no questioning, no judgment, nothing but your pure love of a fellow human and your desire to help another person who was in pain.

7/24/2005 1:05 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

When I petitioned my Fraternity, a key part of the working was understanding the Motto therein- Archae, Philiae, Ophiliae.

Archae is simple. Be a Leader. A Leader of men, a Leader of hearts, one who can command, but who can also follow.

Philiae is the hardest one. Be a Friend. What is Friend? To me, it is everything. When you are my friend, that means that I will help you as much as my ability and means allow. That, Bainwen, is what you have seen. I'm just trying to help, and I have found abundant joy doing so.

Ophiliae is the simplest. Be of Service. Help others, make yourself useful, and make things right with as many as you can. Healing others is helping be of service.

7/24/2005 1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are violating the secrecy of the Fraternity... I am an alumnus of the Chapter, and was on Executive Board...

4/06/2008 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home