Monday, July 25, 2005

Dissection...

Relax, friend, I do not mean animal dissection, more one of a dissection of logic. :-)

Driving home the other night, I was listening to the radio, when a song I rather like came on- "Live Like You Were Dying", by Tim McGraw.

Heck, who am I kidding? I love this song. :-D Sung loud and strong, there is much power within it. Normally, I would just crank the radio up, and let the music take me where it wished. That day, though, I stopped to think a little.

"Live each day like tomorrow was a gift, and you had eternity to think about what did you do with it..."

I'm not going to do anything stupid. I'm not going skydiving any time soon, and mountain climbing is not on the agenda, but I do like that line. What is my tomorrow? I think, after much pondering, I know.

My job, my calling for the morrow, is healing. Learning to heal bodies, helping to heal hearts, and trying to help heal souls. I can't be as the song says and become the husband that I wasn't, as I am single. I can, however, learn how that is supposed to be. I can try and help others feel the light of love, and see what happens from there.

For that is an interesting paradox. According to Brigg's Law, the intensity of Light decreases as a function of the fourth power of the radius. However, according to simple logic, lighting one candle with another doubles the amount of light. We'll have to see which is right.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

But you see, Brigg's Law can't apply to the light of love because love is not carried by photons. Love does not have a wave-particle duality, nor does it fade into the distance.

One of my church groups had a devotional service where each of us started with an unlit candle. The first person lit the candle from the Presence Light, then used that candle to light the next person's candle, saying, "The Light of Christ is within you." And so it continued down the line, until each of us had this small shining flame with which to light the darkness of the sanctuary in the cathedral.

The light of love, I think, is more like a flame than like pure light. It can be a pure and helpful thing, or it can be twisted and turned to ill ends. It can bring life or destroy it. In love's flame, God's flame, all of us are tried and purified, and those things of our souls which are impure and ignoble burn away and allow our souls to rise.

7/26/2005 9:19 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

This sounds rather familiar...

Back in my younger days, at the Jamboree closing ceremony, there was an interesting little bit.

Started out with all the lights gone, and considering there were no sources of light other than stars, it was pitch black. Then, a single candle flame, lit by the Scout Chief Executive. That lit another, then another, until it was as a wave. What was once black was now lit with the flame of one hundred thousand.

A beautiful sight it was. :-) *lights candle* Shall we start lighting the world?

7/26/2005 12:44 PM  
Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

Your candle ceremony sounds much more dramatic than ours. There were only 12 of us. It was beautiful, though, just the same.

7/26/2005 5:57 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

Lighting the world is always beautiful, my Belwain. :-)

7/27/2005 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home