Monday, July 25, 2005

The Joy of Snopes.

As another blogger also does, I post regularly on the Urban Legends Message Board- msgboard.snopes.com. It's a fine bunch of people, always willing to help another. We can debate abortion for a month and duel as Hatfields and McCoys, then join together around a member mourning a loss. No 133tsp34k, just people, using a message board instead of a phone to speak.

Over the weekend, a bunch of us got together for a meet. Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, all were represented and well. We didn't scare people too badly, though 8 grown people excitedly asking about the location of the naked mole rats does cause some confusion! That, and I think that commenting about our plans to steal the waiter's kidneys after our meal didn't help much. ;-)

Very much worth it. Very nice to put names and faces to board handles, very nice to finally see how people are when they are out and about. I felt incredibly comfortable with these people, though I knew only one prior to the meet. Now, I consider each of them friends.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

I felt incredibly comfortable with these people, though I knew only one prior to the meet. Now, I consider each of them friends.

That was the strangest thing about it, naked mole rats notwithstanding. I'm normally really uncomfortable about meeting new people, and get all awkward and unhappy, but in this case I was fine. I was just me. And people even laughed at my jokes. :-)

'Tis the power of snopes, I suppose. It was a really great time!

7/25/2005 10:10 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

People should laugh at your jokes. You have a very finely tuned sense of humor. :-)

7/25/2005 3:49 PM  
Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

I guess it's too finely tuned for some people, because a lot of people just don't get it! :-)

7/25/2005 6:29 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

Yet, it sings sweetly and clear for me. C sharp, slight undertones of Bach. :-)

7/25/2005 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home