Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Seeing the world through different eyes...

Today, working, the world started to get to me. The broken glass bottles in the street, the ubiquitous peeling lead paint, the rusted, dented hulks roaring past me, the heat and the weeds, it all wore. After a while, the decay and the filth rub on you, and you need something to get it off.

I found it. :-)

Standing there, pinning a lock together, I just started looking at things the way I would have 15 or 20 years ago. Then, it all changed. Those broken bottles? Look closer. See how they glitter like diamonds when the sun hits them right? See how that one on the end is casting a rainbow in the street?

That peeling paint? Look closer. It's not paint, it's a highly sophisticated Ant Interstate System. There's one now, hustling North on AIS-75, but it looks like there's a bridge out at the 96 interchange. Hope he sees it.

Those cars rolling down the street? The last True American Iron. The roar of a 400 cube Pontiac, the soft growl of a 289 Ford, the purr of a Ford pickup, hauling lawnmowers.

So, folks, an experiment. Look to the world with a child's eyes. See what happens.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

This is a gateway to an entirely different sort of reality. Rocks and seashells might be treasures, and earthworms and roly-poly bugs might be someone's good friends.

Actually, this posting puts me in mind of what I saw on the way home from work today. It had stopped raining not long before, and in the emerald green front yard of a modest house, I saw two little boys, shirtless, spattered with mud, standing in a drainage ditch laughing at some unknown joke. They were dirty and bedraggled, and their mother would probably have a fit when she saw how muddy they were, but they were oblivious to this fact. They were beautiful.

7/26/2005 6:42 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

Isn't that true beauty? When we can let propriety go and simply be happy?

7/26/2005 7:08 PM  
Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

Letting propriety go and being happy? A rather interesting possible interpretation may arise of this. ;-)

7/26/2005 7:52 PM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

Pardon me... must replace my keyboard, as large amounts of Propel now inhabit it. ;-)

7/26/2005 10:13 PM  
Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

Yay! Now I'm just one OMANK behind you!

7/27/2005 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the heart of a poet. I just hope you have a keyboard left to share your thoughts with us! Darn ol' Propel, anyway. I think that's why it's called Propel.

You ARE, indeed, quite a cutie! And gee, I think you're swell, too!

Enjoy this cooler weather and make a friend or two. Warm up a frog, help a ladybug across the street, knit a sweater for a newborn possum. The possiblities are endless!

7/27/2005 10:58 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

*blushes bright red*

Thanks muchly. :-) I'm glad you approve. :-)

7/27/2005 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home