Thursday, August 04, 2005

Tell us about yourself, in 5300 characters or less.

Not long ago, I sat down to write my medical school application. Most of it is simple stuff- what courses and grades, what schools, what test scores- but then there is the challenge of the essay.

It's freeform, just 5300 characters to explain why you want to do this. Why do you want to rack up the massive debt (Around a quarter-mill for 4 years), the stress, the long hours. Why in God's Name would anyone do this to themselves?

Most essays require thought. Deep contemplation and pondering are normal, followed by a great deal of wrangling with words and phrases, trying to distill a normal person down into a perfect fifth of Med Student 2006.

This one didn't.

Why do I want to do this? I am a healer by nature. I help heal hearts and spirits every day, and help heal bodies as best I can. Whether it's listening to a friend that's hurting, or delivering the deep-tissue massage of a lifetime to relieve stress, that is my destiny.

Quarter-million in debt? Bring it. I don't mind. If that is the price to pay for me to be able to heal bodies as I can already heal wounded hearts, hit me.

Four years of study equal or greater in intensity to any I have ever known? Let's dance. Every second of it will be worth it, since at the end, I will be doing what I am meant to do.

I may not be perfect. I may not have the perfect GPA, or the stellar extra-curricular record, but you know what I do have? Unshakable will. I will do this, and well. Just give me a chance.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bainwen Gilrana said...

The unshakable will and desire to heal will carry you through the difficulties of med school. Someone who has the perfect GPA and exactly the right combination of extracurricular activities, but does not have the passion for becoming a doctor, will falter on the way. You will not. :-)

8/04/2005 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you WANT it, never let it go.

8/05/2005 10:52 AM  
Blogger Tirithien said...

It will never go. To heal is a part of my soul, and I will do ANYTHING to make it so.

8/08/2005 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home